Trademarking CypherSpace???

Sigh.  A company called I-Planet is trying to trademark the term
"Cypherspace", even though we've been using it for a couple of years
in the cypherpunk community.  They're doing an IPSEC Virtual Private Network,
with friendly HTML administration; http://www.i-planet.com/P2cypherpb.html .
Looks like interesting stuff, and I wish them luck except in TMing the name :-)

I looked on AltaVista and HotBot, and the earliest reference I found
was from a 1994 article by Tim May.  I'd be interested in finding any earlier refs.
There's also a line of comic books using the name, and a Java Applet
from 1996, plus references from I-Planet in late 96 and 97.
Anybody know if the term's been used in print in the dead-tree press?

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/6095/assorted-short-pieces/may-police-state.txt 05-Oct-94
http://www.pi.net/~mvheezik/cypher.html  20-Dec-96
http://infinity.nus.sg/cypherpunks/dir.archive-96.10.17-96.10.23/subject.html
	pointing to David Lesher's article Alice in Cypherspace
http://www.insitecomp.com/webdev/java/javasites.htm 7-Dec-96 points to "Cypherspace",
	a Java Application on a machine I don't seem to be able to reach right now.

====  FROM http://www2.netcom.com/netcom/cypher.html and also
====         http://www.i-planet.com/P2cypherpb.html ========

Introducing i-Planet's CypherSpace�

As part of the i-Planet Solution� product family, CypherSpace� allows a
company to securely link all of its locations together over the Internet by creating a
Virtual Private Network (VPN). This represents an enormous cost savings
especially for multinational organizations.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639