Re: OUBAKAYAROU!! (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 23:02:36 -0700
> From: Bill Stewart <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: OUBAKAYAROU!! (fwd)

> At the time the list was created, and I subscribed to it,
> the announcement indicated that cypherpunks-j and cypherpunks-e
> were independent lists, rather than mirrors,

No, Bill, the cypherpunks-e list was announced by me and it was announced as
a *specific* member of the existing CDR started at my specific request. Only
the cypherpunks-j was ever announced as the indipendant list, which I
intended to change. I further sent out a note requesting feedback on
non-English traffic and it's acceptance on the existing CDR. I received
nothing but smart-ass replies so we decided not to gateway that traffic but
leave the cypherpunks-j traffic fully indipendantly. That lack of responce
is what motivated the cypherpunks-e list. It was nearly a week after the -j
list that the -e came online because I had to work that weekend and the -j
operator was going to Australia.

> Well, for a while, -e was badly broken.  However, if the purpose
> of the list is to be yet another mirror, fine, getting list mirrors
> working is a trickier job than getting an independent list up and working.

It is still 'broken' in that the mailer software they use doesn't accept
submissions with blank subject: lines. As a consequence I get several
bounces a day, usualy from anonymous accounts, that I simply /dev/null.
Whether this is a bug or a feature is up to your own interpretation.

I am looking into putting something in place so that SSZ puts something
like:

Subject: [unknown subject]

on the traffic that is subject: blank since the -j and -e remailer software
can't have this behaviour turned off.

> Yeah; you've been getting flaked a lot lately.  I remember back
> in the old days having to get New Jersey Bell to deal with
> bad data quality on my home voice line

About the only good thing I can say is that I got a $150 credit and the
phone bill is $70/month for the 3 analog lines so I get to ride free
dial-in's on SWBT's dollar for two months.

The ISDN seems to be relatively stable since turning in the trouble call and
doing the testing, which showed 100% reliability (right).

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |