RE: Bill Gates, the Bully Savior

I too have my doubts about Microsoft software. Yes, they clearly
>dominate a very lucrative market largely due to, as you mention, "sheer
incompetance on the part of the rest of the industry" but another
important reason is better marketing. Netscape, for example, could have
beaten out MS if they had had better marketing and strategy
(incompetance?).

I believe the point of the Justice Dept. investigations is anti-trust
issues more than it is a witch hunt. We all know that monopolies can,
but not necesarily do, produce inferior products. Anti-trust laws are
meant to facilitate competition on even ground and that can lead to
better products for us the consumers.

MS can�t be blamed for the incompetence of the rest of the industry. If
MS wins anti-trust litigation then so be it but someone has to keep them
in check. We elect the people who appoint others to review these
matters. If no one does it then soon we�ll see "Microsoft Compatible"
stickers on the dashboards of our cars, toasters, beepers, etc. And what
will happen to Unix then when we live in a Microsoft compatible world?

BTW, my beef with MS is primarily quality. If they want to dominate the
market then they better give me quality or I�ll spend my money
elsewhere. Would you buy a Ford if you knew the tires would fall off if
you don�t install the **latest-and-greatest Service Pack**? I, for one,
will keep bugging MS to produce better products. In the meantime, I�ll
keep buying from the Unix side (which is also lagging).

Arturo Grapa Ysunza
[email protected]
Ing. de Comunicaciones
Banco Nacional de M�xico, S.A.