Re: Bell vs. Woodward--justice?

At 6:09 PM -0700 11/10/97, Fabrice Planchon wrote:
>On lun 10 nov  1997 � 01:06:08PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>>
>> Apparently shaking a baby to death is a lesser crime than opposing
>> government fascism and having a continuing interest in chemistry.
>
>I just read the judge statement and found it rather good. It seems to me
>that he explains quite well the motivations of his decisions and so
>on. Now, wether he would have taken time to deeply think about the issue
>if the whole thing was taking place in a small american town with a
>babysitter from the neighborhood and no big media coverage, we don't
>know. It seems that the only thing which can be argued is wether the
>final sentence is appropriate or not. I guess the media will provide us
>with statistics on "how long you have to stay in prison when you have
>been convicted of manslaughter". I would expect a few years. She finally
>spent a little bit more than one year. Ok. Still, from what we have seen

279 days.

>of the american justice system in the past few years, I feel like this
>is an improvement, where common sense takes over money, racial issues,
>politics, etc. Or am I fooled by the media ;-) ?

You were fooled by the "pathos pendulum." The media started treating her as
poor little Louise Woodward, innocent au pair from Merrye Olde England,
being oppressed by the patriarchal colonials.

(Watch for the pendulum to now swing in the other direction.)

>As I said, she served some time waiting for her trial, too. Don't you

279 days. Yes, this is well known to those who followed it.

>think you are shooting the wrong target here ? I mean, I certainly agree

No, else I wouldn't have written what I wrote.

I said in two different posts that my main point was about Bell spending
more time in jail than a convicted baby killer.

--Tim May