Re: Bell vs. Woodward--justice?

> Apparently shaking a baby to death is a lesser crime than opposing
> government fascism and having a continuing interest in chemistry.

Apparently so, I must say in this particular case I see a cause for an
aquittal based on reasonable doubt, but I`m not a juror so I didn`t see
all the evidence so my opinion is not really valid. The general principle
concerning sentencing length still holds. I don`t know the spin in the US
media on the Woodward story, I understand it was sympathetic to the
defendant, the UK press has basically done what is usual whenever a high
profile case is tried in a foreign court (eg. Deborah Parry and Lucille
McLaughlin, the 2 nurses tried in saudi arabia for the murder of Yvonne
Guildford, the UK media spin was that the saudi court was a crude inhuman
system whereby public beheadings were handed out at the drop of a hat),
and most UK papers were ranting about the "inhumanity" of giving a 19
year old a life sentence for murder, hell, if she did it, kill the bitch.

> The au pair Louise Woodward will serve less time in jail than Jim Bell
> will. While Bell languishes in a Washington state jail, awaiting (for
> almost 7 months!!) his sentence, the convicted babykiller is now free.

Ah yes, but don`t forget Tim that in Amerika (The land of the free,
remember?) the life of a child is of less value than the security of the
state.

It makes a mockery of the judicial system that a judge can overturn a
verdict like Zobel has done in the Woodward case, sure, allow her to
appeal, but giving an appointed official the power to decide a verdict
makes me sick, and a sentence of 279 days for manslaughter is a joke.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, [email protected]
  [email protected], [email protected]
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/