U.N. conference on "hate sites" on the Internet

[I've attached the conference agenda below. --Declan]

*************

Experts tell U.N. conference 'hate' sites on Internet may be here to
stay

Reuters

GENEVA (November 11, 1997 2:47 p.m. EST http://www.nando.net) -
Internet hate sites, such as one urging "Aryan brothers and sisters
... to combat racially inferior
parasites," are unlikely to be stamped out because this would limit
freedom of speech, experts said Tuesday.

The need to respect free speech, as well as the sheer size of the
task, emerged at a United Nations seminar as the two main obstacles
to eradicating such material.

The issue has become more pressing as the number of online hate sites
soars and racism, neo-Nazism and anti-Semitism, find new niches on
the Internet, speakers at the meeting said.

But there is no easy answer to the question: who decides what is
offensive on the Internet?

"In Europe, it would be racist to say, 'I don't like Arabs.' In the
United States, we can say 'I don't like Arabs, I don't like pink
people.' Under freedom of expression, it's not against the law," said
Debra Guzman, executive director of the U.S.-based Human Rights
Information Network.

"You can't ban this in the United States," she told a news
conference.

One problem is that Internet technology itself cannot distinguish
between the offensive and the non-offensive, said Eric Lee, public
policy director at the U.S. Commercial Internet Exchange.

[...]

*************

     Dear Madam/Sir,

        I have the honour to inform you that within the framework of the
     implementation of the Programme of Action for the Third Decade to
     Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination, in pursuance of General
     Assembly resolution 51/81, the High Commissioner for Human Rights will
     organize a seminar on "The role of Internet with regard to the
     provisions of the International Convention on the Elimination of all
     Forms of  Racial Discrimination".

        The purpose of the Seminar which will take place in Geneva from 10
     to 14 November 1997 and bring together experts on the subject matter,
     representatives of governments, Internet Service Providers, and
     representatives of non-governmental organizations, is to find ways and
     means to ensure a responsible use of the Internet in the light of the
     International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial
     Discrimination.

        The draft agenda of the meeting reads as follows:

                (a)     Racism and Racial Discrimination on Internet

        (b)     Technical Aspects of screening racist propaganda on
     Internet:
                1.      National Measures
                2.      International Measures

        (c)     Prohibition of racist propaganda on the Internet. Juridical
     Aspects:
                1.      National Measures
                2.      International Measures

        (d)     Elements for an eventual Code of Conduct and good practice
     for displaying material on Internet

                (e)     Recommendations.

                                                       /...
     #012#

        I am very pleased, on behalf of the Secretary-General, to invite
     your Organization to send an observer to the seminar. In order that
     the necessary arrangements concerning conference facilities may be
     made in advance,  I would be grateful to receive his or her name by 30
     October 1997 at the latest. Under existing arrangements, your
     Organization would be expected to bear the costs of its
     representative.

                        I am attaching to this letter, for your
     convenience, a briefing note relating to the seminar.

                                   Yours sincerely,

                                        John Pace

                                  Chief
                                Research and Right to
                                          Development Branch

        IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PROGRAMME OF ACTION
        FOR THE THIRD DECADE TO COMBAT RACISM
        AND RACIAL DISCRIMINATION

        SEMINAR ON THE ROLE OF INTERNET WITH REGARD TO THE PROVISIONS
     OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON THE ELIMINATION
     OF ALL FORMS OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION

        Geneva, Palais des Nations
        10-14 November 1997

        PROVISIONAL AGENDA

     Monday 10 November

     Morning

10:00 - 13:00           Opening of the Seminar

                        -       Welcome address by High Commissioner for
Human
Rights
                        -       Election of the Bureau (Chairperson,
Vice-Chairperson, Rapporteur)
                        -       Adoption of the agenda
                        -       Organisation of work

Afternoon               Working session I

15:00 - 18:00           Item I: Racism and Racial Discrimination on Internet

                         -      Keynote address by Ms. Debra Guzman,
                                Executive Director
                                The Human Rights Information Network
                        -       General discussion
                        -       Conclusion
#012#

Tuesday 11 November

Morning         Working session II.a

10:00 - 13:00           Item II: Technical Aspects of screening racist
propaganda on Internet: National measures

                        -       Keynote address by Mr. Timothy L. Jenkins,
Chairman of Unlimited Visions
                        -       General discussion
                        -       Conclusion

Afternoon               Working session II.b

15:00 - 18:00           Item III: Technical Aspects of screening racist
propaganda on                           Internet: international measures

                                -       Keynote address by Mr. Eric Lee,
                                Commercial Internet Exchange
                        -       General discussion
                        -       Conclusion

Wednesday 12 November

Morning         Working session III.a

10:00 -13:00            Item IV: Prohibition of Racist Propaganda on the
Internet: Juridical Aspects, National Measures

                        -       Keynote address by an expert of the
Department
of Justice, USA
                        -       General discussion
                        -       Conclusion

Afternoon               Working session III.b

15:00 - 18:00           Item V: Prohibition of Racist Propaganda on the
Internet: Juridical Aspects, International Measures

                        -       Keynote address by Mr. Agha Shahi, member
of the
Commitee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
                        -       General discussion
                        -       Conclusion

#012#
Thursday 13 November

Morning                 Working session IV.a

10:00 - 13:00           Item VI: Elements for an eventual Code of Conduct and
good practice for displaying material on Internet

                        -       Keynotes address by:
                                        Ms. Maya Sooka, Association for
Progressive Communication, Johannesburg
                        -       General Discussion
                        -       Conclusion

Afternoon               Working session IV.b

15:00 - 18:00           Item VI: Elements for an eventual Code of Conduct and
good practice for displaying material on Internet

                        -       Keynotes address by:
                                Mr. Tony Rutkowsky, former senior ITU
executive
                        -       General Discussion
                        -       Conclusion

Friday 14 November

Morning                 Free Time

Afternoon

15:00 - 18:00           Conclusions and Recommendations

                        Closing of the Seminar

                        -       Statement of the Chairperson
                        -       Final statement of the High Commissioner

        ------