Re: Matters of Law

At 9:17 AM -0800 11/11/97, Tim May wrote:

>I expect the Paladin Press case will go to the Supreme Court now. I hope it
>does, at least. And it'll be interesting to see if the ACLU supports a
>politically incorrect case like this.

The 4th Circuit dec'n in Paladin is up on the FindLaw site, though when I
got it this morning parts of it were mixed up -- some footnote material got
into the body of the opinion.

These are among the amici on the appellate brief.  I'd guess they all
weighed in on Paladin's side.  It's a "publisher's rights" case -- not that
tough to pick sides.

AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION FOUNDATION; AMERICAN
CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION OF THE NATIONAL CAPITOL AREA; AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES
UNION OF COLORADO; ABC, INCORPORATED; AMERICA ONLINE, INCORPORATED;
ASSOCIATION OF AMERICAN PUBLISHERS; THE BALTIMORE SUN COMPANY; E.W. SCRIPPS
COMPANY; FREEDOM TO READ FOUNDATION; MAGAZINE PUBLISHERS OF AMERICA,
INCORPORATED; MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS, INCORPORATED; MEDIA GENERAL, INC.; MEDIA
PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE; NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BROADCASTERS; NEWSPAPERS
ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA; THE NEW YORK TIMES; THE REPORTERS COMMITTEE FOR
FREEDOM OF THE PRESS; SOCIETY OF PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTS; THE WASHINGTON
POST

Lee Tien