Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

In <[email protected]>, on
11/18/97
   at 06:28 PM, Jim Burnes <[email protected]> said:

>Interesting.  I was under the opinion that schooling and "social
>services" were no more constitutional rights then, say, free food or a
>pot to piss in.

Well I have done some more research on this.

Seems that there is a SC decision in Plyler v Doe 1982 in which the courts
have ruled that a child (citizen or not) has the *right* to public
education. This comes out of a Texas case not too differnt from Prop 187
in California.

The proposition I mentioned in my last post was Prop 187.

I seem to be having some difficulty in finding the actual documents
regarding this case and subsequent court rulings (opinions on it I can
find by the truckload).

I'll keep searching but if anyone has a pointer to where this info can be
found it would be appreciated.

OK I found Plyler v Doe at:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=457&invol=202

I haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

It seems that this case is one of the main attacks against Prop 187 which
AFAIK is still in the courts.

Here is a ruling of the 9th district by Judge Mariana R. Pfaelzer:

http://128.120.36.171/By-Month/MN-Vol-3-96/Prop_187_Opinion.html

Appendix A of this ruling has the text of Prop 187.

I still have not been able to find out where this thing is in the court
system.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html