RE: export restictions and investments

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jack Oswald wrote:

> I am also aware of a company called VASCO that bought a crypto chip maker in Belgium which was apparently OK too.

At this point a brief overview of modexp accelerators might be  in order:

o the Belgian chips I've seen are too slow.
o the Rainbow board is OK, but non-exportable.
o the Chrysalis PCMCIA card has the same performance as the Rainbow board
at half the price.  Also non-exportable.
o  the Ncipher SCSI based accelearator screams, but it a bit pricey.
UK product. Exportable (?) http://www.ncipher.com/
o a high-end Alpha also performs rather nicely, according to some
benchmarks Eric Young once posted.

-- Lucky Green <[email protected]> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.
   "Tonga? Where the hell is Tonga? They have Cypherpunks there?"