RE: export restictions and investments

At 03:12 AM 11/20/1997 +0100, Lucky Green wrote:
>At this point a brief overview of modexp accelerators might be  in order:
>o the Belgian chips I've seen are too slow.
>o the Rainbow board is OK, but non-exportable.
>o the Chrysalis PCMCIA card has the same performance as the Rainbow board
>at half the price.  Also non-exportable.
>o  the Ncipher SCSI based accelearator screams, but it a bit pricey.
>UK product. Exportable (?) http://www.ncipher.com/
>o a high-end Alpha also performs rather nicely, according to some
>benchmarks Eric Young once posted.

All of the non-exportable ones sound like specialized cryptographic devices,
which are of course evil threats to Yankee National Security,
so of course they're not exportable.  On the other hand, if they weren't
crypto-specific, but just did modexps or other bignum stuff,
as long as they weren't faster than a PentiumII-400,
and didn't use the C-word in the product literature, they'd be exportable.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639