Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Actually, many studies have found that immigrants, legal and illegal,
make a net positive contribution to the economy, even considering their
access to government services.  Anyone who has worked with these people
knows that most of them work harder than native born Americans.

Even aside from the strictly economic balance sheets, giving these
people the opportunity to succeed in a free country is a significant
moral benefit which must count in favor of free immigration.

They also serve to make our country more multi-cultural, with
greater awareness and appreciation of the value of alternate customs
and lifestyles.  We develop "hybrid vigor", as our culture is cross
fertilized by elements from all around the world.  The result is an
incredibly dynamic and flexible culture, which is why the United States
will continue to be a world leader for the next century.

Of course, this gift of diversity causes immigrants to be hated and feared
by racists such as Tim May, who sees them only as targets to mock with
threats of murder: