Re: A Challenge to the Violent and Depraved

To buttress suggestions for simulating the OKC bombing, here's an SAIC
press release of August 1997 on a training program for disaster handling:

SAIC AND TEEX TO PROVIDE ANTI-TERRORISM TRAINING TO
FIRST RESPONDERS

(MCLEAN, VA) Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) has
signed an agreement with the Texas Engineering Extension Service (TEEX)
to prepare civilian emergency responders for possible terrorist events.
Under the agreement, SAIC and its teaming partners will provide training
to firefighters and other first response personnel in the latest
technologies for addressing chemical and biological terrorism.

As the leader of the team, TEEX will hold training classes at Texas A&M
University's Emergency Response Training Field at College Station, Texas,
where firefighters and rescue workers will train in virtual reality
simulators on the effects of chemical and biological weapons. TEEX, which
is a member of the Texas A&M University System, annually provides training
to 129,000 individuals and last year provided fire, rescue and hazardous
materials training nationally and internationally to more than 28,000
responders.

"The United States has been fortunate in that it has not had a successful
terrorist attack perpetrated against it using biological or chemical agents,"
said G. Kemble Bennett, TEEX's CEO who oversees the 120-acre Brayton Fire
Training Field. "However, experts agree that it is only a matter of time."

"As a leader in chemical and biological warfare agent accident, response and
assistance training for military and civilian emergency response agencies,
SAIC can offer expert guidance to responders," said William L. Chadsey,
senior vice president at SAIC. "Our company has provided emergency planning
and consultative services to personnel and public service organizations
worldwide."

In September, U.S. Representative Curt Weldon (R-Pa.) is expected to
introduce a bill in Congress to designate the training field at Texas
A&M and its facilities as The National Training Center for Urban
Search and Rescue. The new center is expected to feature building
collapse simulators and a facility dubbed "Disaster City" to prepare
responders to handle earthquakes and bombings in addition to chemical
and biological agents. If approved, Rep. Weldon�s bill also is likely
to facilitate the release of information from Bechtel Nevada at the
Nevada Test Site about the handling of nuclear materials.

Speaking at the signing ceremony, Fire Chief Gary Marrs of Oklahoma
City, Okla., said, "The first responders in our communities, and
specifically our firefighters, are tasked to respond and make a
difference when disasters occur. Until the training and equipment,
utilizing the latest in technology, get down to the street level, we
put our responders at an extreme disadvantage and endanger their lives.
I am encouraged to see these types of cooperative efforts make this
training and technology available to the men and women of the fire
service who protect our cities daily."

Marrs, who managed the fire and rescue mission at the bombing of the
Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City, chairs the Urban Search
and Rescue Committee for the International Association of Fire Chiefs
located in Fairfax, Va.

http://www.saic.com/publications/news/aug97/news08-06-97.html