Re: Further costs of war

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 00:02:01 +0100 (MET)
> From: [email protected] (Anonymous)
> Subject: Further Costs of War

Hi Monty,

I have a couple of questions...

> A few more comments on World War II.
>
> Had World War II been prevented, along with deaths of 50 million or so
> people, we would also have been spared (in the United States) income
> tax withholding.  Previously the only people paying income tax were
> fairly wealthy and there was no withholding.

Any particular methodology you might care to share on stopping WWII?
Being an avid amateur historian concerning WWII I am very much interested in
any insight you might have.

As to taxation and withholding:

			       ARTICLE XVI.

	The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on
incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the
several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
[25 February 1913.]

Notice the date of implimentation, considerably before WWII, it is in fact
the year before the US became involved in WWI. Perhaps you meant WWI instead
of WWII? Citizens of the US have been paying taxes since 1914.

> I doubt very much that income tax withholding would have been accepted
> if the War were not used to justify it.  ("You don't want to pay
> taxes?  What are you, a traitor?")

What war? The taxes came about because of issues other than fighting a war
which hadn't even happened yet.

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |