Re: The Joys of Being Canadian

I guy I know recently arrived here from Australia.  He works for a company
that maintains a database of all people throughout the world who have
telephones.  They have live connections to almost all phone companies and
provide lookups for most major government agencies.  The service is housed
here in Atlanta.  The same company also provides x.500 systems.

As he does not have a social security number, and certainly does not care
to get fingerprinted for a driver's license, he has found that he cannot
cash a check or do simple things that require a social security number.  A
side issue that relates to his visa is that he also is not allowed to leave
the country and go visit Australia for a certain period of time.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:[email protected]
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key