Re: Best Cypherpunk long gun (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 23:34:51 -0700
> From: Tim May <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Best Cypherpunk long gun

> Were I to recommend one rifle to meet most needs, it would be some variant
> of the AR-15, from Colt or Bushmaster or Olympic Arms, etc. About $800 for
> a common variant. No need for a collapsible stock.  This will handle social
> needs from short range, to a few hundred yards (maybe more).
>
> There are those who recommend a cheaper SKS or AK-47 variant. I've never
> owned one, so can't honestly comment. The concensus in rec.guns and
> misc.survivalism seems to be that the AR shoots better and more accurately,
> but the AK-47 is more forgiving of bad conditions, dirt, etc. Inasmuch as I
> don't expect to be in the desert, or even any mud, I'll take the more
> accurate piece.

I would go for a HK 93 or G3 model myself w/ Zeiss 3x9 scope w/ some sort of
laser designator for long range (> 200 yds.). Chambered in .308 and will give
about a 4 to 6-in. group at 600 yds. from what I have seen - very handy for
shooting throug 4 in. brick walls as well. Very accurate (a very popular
sniper weapon) and more than forgiving with the environment. It's little
brother the MP-5 pretty much owns the SWAT and similar sorts of jobs.

A Desert Eagle chambered in .357 (you just *think* those .223 go through
vests) would be my close in choice.

Course you ain't gonna touch the HK for less than a few $k and the Desert
Eagles are over $1k.

> (The notion that the AR-15/M-16 "jams" is based on 35-year-old early
> experiences in Viet Nam, using an early design and early ammo. The jamming
> problems were fixed quickly, by changing the forward assist, changing the
> ammo a little, and teaching soldiers how to properly clean the weapon.)

Don't worry about it - go with a HK and you can fill the chamber with gunk
and the next cycle of the blowback bolt system will clear it. Excellent all
weather weapon. It'll even fire if un-oiled - not something you should do
with a M16/AR15.

   |      Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make       |
   |      violent revolution inevitable.                                |
   |                                          John F. Kennedy           |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |