Re: New Software Controls

(Wasenaar discussion...)
>>    You might want to highlight the following section ... not sure of the
>>    entire context ... but this isn't something that I'd seen before. It looks
>>    like control of any software that can transmit data.
>>
>>        c.3. ``Software'' which provides the capability of recovering
>>        ``source code'' of telecommunications ``software'' controlled by
>>        5A001, 5B001, or 5C001;
>Export ban on decompilers?  Disassemblers?  Debuggers?
>These tools are general purpose, so this seems particularly weird.

It's only weird if you assume the authors have a clue...
Depending on the overall context, telco software companies and their
customers may find this section interesting as well.

If they were thinking at all when they wrote this, they were probable concerned
about products that let people ship exportable binaries and patchtools
that let users recover the source code to undo the limitations.

But as you say, general purpose tools work fine.  The special purpose
tools I've seen have been the ones that patch the binaries of Netscape
40-bit versions to reenable 128-bit capability, and they just use binary.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]