Re: State of the Union Address

Another Anonymous writes:

>>Does anyone happen to know how to figure the energy requirements or yields
>>for a reaction?
>
>Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreted, I mean how much energy is required
>or is liberated by a given reaction. I don't mean "...figure the energy,
>requirements, or yields," or "figure the energy requirements or products it
>yields."

It has been fifteen years since I even opened a chemistry book, but I think
what you're looking for is called the "heat of enthalpy." You could find
this in most any intro-level chem book, and there's probably a whole
shitload of reactions listed in the _CRC Handbook Of Chemistry & Physics_.

Since HCl+NaOH is an acid-base reaction, you could also use something
called the "heat of neutralization." IIRC, that's something like 57 KJ/mol
for strong acids. But don't take my word for it; I'm Not A Chemist Any
More. P-Chem gave me a great appreciation for math and computers.