E-CDA

Congressional Record: February 5, 1998 (House)

                   ELECTRONIC CAMPAIGN DISCLOSURE ACT

  (Mr. WHITE asked and was given permission to address the House for 1
minute.)

  Mr. WHITE. Madam Speaker, in March we are going to vote on campaign
finance reform in this House. It is a very important issue but also a
very difficult issue, and it is made particularly difficult because
most of the bills before us are big bills that deal with the whole
comprehensive issue that we have to talk about.

  I have got one of those bills, and I hope that we can pass one. But
just in case we cannot, today I am introducing what we might call a
small bill that will deal at least with some of the problems. This bill
is called the Electronic Campaign Disclosure Act, and what it does is
tell the Federal Elections Commission to get into the 21st century.

  It directs the FEC to establish a database on-line to search over the
Internet for all the information needed about campaign finances in our
country. Every campaign would have to file within 10 days a report of
every contribution that it receives and contributors, and PACs would
also have to file.

  Madam Speaker, sometimes we cannot do it all in one step. The longest
journey begins with a single step, and I think if we cannot pass a big
bill a small bill like the one I am introducing today would be a step
in the right direction.