Re: DES search

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Dr. Alan Sherman wrote:

> Why doesn't someone speed up the DES search with Hellman's
> time-space tradeoff, whose precomputation could be done within
> a month?

Probably because finding spare CPU cycles on thousands of machines is
easy and free, while finding the disk storage space that you mention
would be expensive, and I doubt distributed.net has the resources.
And people who do have the resources are busy doing other things with
them, or keep them at Fort Meade.

I forget because I haven't read that part of Applied Crypto in a while,
but wasn't it terabytes of storage?

--
 Andrew Fabbro [[email protected]] [[email protected]]
 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~afabbro/      313.647.2713