Re: DES search

A few terabytes of storage isn't THAT expensive.
Let's see:
1,000,000,000,000 bytes
a CDROM holds about 640 MB, which means that 1563 CDs could hold it.
At CompUSA, that were recently selling recordable CD's for $10 for five,
but
with a mail-in $10 rebate which means you're only paying 32 cents for
postage
for 5 CD's. .32*1563=$500 or so.
Add in the cost of a few CD-R drives @ $300 each = $900 for recording.
Combined total=$1400
Within the reach of distributed.net, I would think.

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:01:55 -0500 (EST) andrew fabbro
<[email protected]> writes:
>On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Dr. Alan Sherman wrote:
>
>> Why doesn't someone speed up the DES search with Hellman's
>> time-space tradeoff, whose precomputation could be done within
>> a month?
>
>Probably because finding spare CPU cycles on thousands of machines is
>easy and free, while finding the disk storage space that you mention
>would be expensive, and I doubt distributed.net has the resources.
>And people who do have the resources are busy doing other things with
>them, or keep them at Fort Meade.
>
>I forget because I haven't read that part of Applied Crypto in a
>while,
>but wasn't it terabytes of storage?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]