Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, John Young wrote:

> Markoff in the NYT reports today on the release of a new
> Sendmail upgrade by author Eric Allman that will block
> spam by checking the legitimacy of the originating address
> before delivery.
>
> The report claims that spam is up to 10% of e-mail worldwide,
> And that Sendmail is used on 75% of the computers that route
> e-mail, all of which are being fitted with the new program.
>
> What are the chances that this will affect remailers or other
> means of eternal anonymity?

   I doubt it.  NYT is probably referring to the integration into the
sendmail package of rules that nix incoming mail with forged From headers,
e.g. "[email protected]" and prevent unauthorized relaying.  Remailers
generally use a From header that includes their own legitimate domain, so
they likely won't be blocked.  However, while the anti-relay-hijacking
rules are useful (and LONG overdue), I see the the From-domain-validity
change as a Bad Thing, as it will encourage spammers to deliberately
choose existing domains to spoof in their From lines, leading to an
increase in the incidences of sites being subjected to fragmented
denial-of-service attacks, i.e. being mailbombed by the collective
complaints of all those shit-stupid AOLers who don't bother to read the
Received headers.  I've been lucky enough never to have been subjected to
one of those attacks, but from the sheer volume of complaints I once got
when a luser sent a MMF spam to USENET, I can sympathize with the victim
of a spoof.
   Yet another instance of "protection for the masses" actually providing
no real benefit and simultaneously negating the protection afforded to
those few who had previously used the defense.  A similar thing has
happened/is happening with the previously-useful "Comments: Authenticated
sender is" check for spam, which used to be nearly 95% effective at nixing
spam because most known spamming packages included the header, and only
one legitimate mailer did likewise, but was easy to make exceptions for
because it included an identifying X-Mailer header.

--
Brian Buchanan                                      [email protected]

Never believe that you know the whole story.