Re: A new Swiss banking novel

At 6:19 PM -0700 5/4/98, Edwin E. Smith wrote:

>I agree completely. While I support the right to own guns (and nukes)
>by anyone, guns can be used both ofensively and defensevely while
>crypto can only be used defensevely.
>
>That is unless you put PGP on a stack of diskettes, glue them
>together and whack somebody with them.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

Crypto can and has been used just like any other weapon. The freedom
fighters in Burma who use PGP to communicate securely and to plan bombings
against their oppressors...how can this be said to be "only defensive"?

I've said this many times, so I won't spend more time here. All "defensive"
weapons have "offensive" uses. Even shields, even armor, even crypto.

To think otherwise is to show no awareness of history.

--Tim May

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
tyrants...."
Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.