Re: A new Swiss banking novel

At 07:43 PM 5/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>At 6:19 PM -0700 5/4/98, Edwin E. Smith wrote:
>
>>I agree completely. While I support the right to own guns (and
nukes)
>>by anyone, guns can be used both ofensively and defensevely while
>>crypto can only be used defensevely.
>>
>>That is unless you put PGP on a stack of diskettes, glue them
>>together and whack somebody with them.
>
>Sorry, but this is nonsense.
>
>Crypto can and has been used just like any other weapon. The freedom
>fighters in Burma who use PGP to communicate securely and to plan
bombings
>against their oppressors...how can this be said to be "only
defensive"?

>I've said this many times, so I won't spend more time here. All
"defensive"
>weapons have "offensive" uses. Even shields, even armor, even
crypto.

>To think otherwise is to show no awareness of history.
>

>--Tim May
>

>"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
>tyrants...."
>---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------
:----
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital
money,
>ComSec 3DES:   408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital
pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information
markets,
>Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of
governments.

I suppose that you would consider a forearm raised against a baton to
be offensive also!

Edwin

When freedom is outlawed.......Only outlaws will be free!

If cryptography is outlawed, pomz pvumbxt xjmm ibwf dszquphsbqiz.

Fun! Fast! Revealing! Try "The World's Smallest Political Quiz" at:
   http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

IS AIDS A GOVERNMENT/DRUG COMPANY HOAX?
   http://www.virusmyth.com/aids/index.htm