Dr. Abdul Qadeer [Kahn]

Sunday 5/31/98 6:06 PM

J Orlin Grabbe

Read at http://www.aci.net/kalliste/ tonight

  India vs. Pakistan
  Another Pakistan Nuke..  Dr. Abdul Qadeer

Friday  5/15/1998 Albuquerque Journal, Universal Press Syndicate,
Syndicated Columnist Richard Reeves writes

  U.S. Indignation at India�s Nuclear Testing Hypocritical

  London -  So, India has conducted its second test of a nuclear weapon,
and its
  third, fourth, and fist and sixth, in the past few days.  That put it
1,026 tests
  behind the United States. ...
    This has been coming for a long, time - and we have been foolish or
deliberately
  looking the wrong way for decades. Fifteen years ago, in 1983, we the
Reeves family,
  were living in the district called E-7, the best neighborhood in
Islamabad, the capital of
  Pakistan.  (My wife was doing work involving refugee camps in the
northwest of the
  country, across the border from the Afghan-Soviet war.)
    Like everyone else around there, including American diplomats, we
knew why military
  car arrived each morning to take the fellow around the corer, Abdel
Qadeer Kahn, to his
  office - or laboratory.  Kahn was in charge of building the bomb out
in the Pakistani desert
  at a place called Kahuta. This was the so-called �Islamic bomb� ready
for use against India,
  which had conducted its first test in 1974.  Whatever we though,
Pakistanis believed nuclear
  weapons were essential to checkmate the change of being overwhelmed by
India., their
  10-time-as-big neighbor.  ...

Small world. See Los Angeles Times syndicated columnist Richard Reeves
at http://www.jya.com/whp052898.htm

John Young's voice telephone is being picked-up by his fax tonight.

Let's all hope for prompt peaceful settlement of the unfortunate matter.

Later
bill