Re: DirFBI: Danger of Encryption

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, John Young wrote:

> The New York Times, July 12, 1998:

	[...]

> but eliminate any risk of abuse by law enforcement. But if
> we do not allow for court-ordered access, for the first time
> in the history of this country a court order for seizure of
> evidence will be an absolute nullity.

	This is an interesting claim.  Surely it's only been
	in this century that law enforcement has ever had
	the kind of systematic access to communication that presently
	does.  I'd say Louis Freeh is lacking in the history department
	if he really believes that Americans have never possessed
	as much privacy as strong crypto offers.

	I'd also say he's missed a few history classes if he
	thinks that the world will blow up without him listening
	in.

							-Xcott