Real World thoughts

Wednesday 8/26/98 7:11 AM

J Orlin Grabbe

1  Tuesday issue of the ABQ J always carries a special section on
computers.

  t 8/25/98

  COUNTDOWN TO Y2K

  Cataclysm or inconvenience?

Of most interest to me was

  Old mainframes make sheer size of problem nearly overwhelming

  By Chris Allbritton
  The Associated Press

  NEW YORK -  The shear number of unique solutions needed for the Year
  2000 bug, not the technical aspects, are the real problem behind this
glitch
  in time. ...

for the reason of my book and translation

  Machine, Assembly, and System Programming for the IBM 360, New York:
  Harper & Row, 1969

  Programacion en Lenguaje de Maquina, Asemblador, y de Sistemas con el
  IBM 360, Harper & Row, 1971

In the 1970s some IBM 360/70/40xx were STILL running IBM 650 simulators
which
hosted code which companies did not want to rewrite!

The message published in the Monday ABQ J

                            	�98 Warning!
  Due to serious bugs and compatibility problems, we join many other PC
  builders in recommending AGAINST Windows �98 at this time.

http://www.c-works.com/

makes me speculate that the hardware vendors were able to try out their
new hardware
on DOS, Win 3.xx, 95, NT but not on �98.

Since Microsoft may not have had new hardware like the AMD K6 -2 [3d],
�98 was
not fully exercised on the newer architectures.

I will send you page on Y2K.

And also the copy of

  NSA  deputy director Barbara McNamara's  wrote me a letter dated 19
August  1998.

  http://www.nsa.gov:8080/mission.html

  McNamara DENIED my fee waiver appeal for search for invoices NSA spent
on public key chips.

  From my inside dealings with NSA's R division and Sandia employees  I
learned that both had     some VERY UNFORTUNATE EXPERIENCES with public
key.

  I am sending both you and John Young copies of NcNamara's letter.

  McNamara wrote,

    This response may be construed as a denial of your appeal.
Accordingly, you are hereby
  advised to your right to seek judicial review of my decision pursuant
to 5 U.S.C. � 552(a)(4)
  (B) in the United States District Court in the district in which you
reside, in which you have
  your principal place of business, in which the Agency's records are
situated (U.S. District
  Court of Maryland), or in the District of Columbia.

  http://www.jya.com/hr105-37.txt

I wonder if http://www.taliban.com/ is the �real thing� or an
�intelligence agency�
spy plot?  Since we send