radio net (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Subject: radio net
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:29:53 -0400
> From: Ryan Lackey <[email protected]>

> Is anyone else interested in setting up a radio net (probably packet radio
> relay) to relay small quantities of data in the event the telecommunications
> infrastructure becomes unavailable (either technically or legally/politically/
> militarily)?  There are existing packet relay nets, but in my experience
> amateur radio people, especially in the US, are very willing to roll over
> for the government at the slightest cause.
>
> I think the cost would be something like $1-5k per station, and it could
> be done in a fairly turnkey fashion.  Exactly how to handle routing and
> what protocol to use on the network is kind of an open question -- there
> are a lot of solutions, none of them optimal.

What sort of use do you see it being put to? One or two stations wouldn't be
worth the investment in money or time. Would it be some sort of private
channel or the backbone of a more complex enterprise? Do you see it being a
form of employment in the crash in that the operator could trade
communications access for vittles and ammo?

As to protocols, the standard IP packet software seems to work just fine (I
think it's something like KA9Q or some such). I've used it twice and it
worked like a champ.

Are you proposing to get a license or would it be strictly underground until
after the crash?

                            The seeker is a finder.

                                     Ancient Persian Proverb

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]