Re: Investigating the Suspect Computer

Brian W. Buchanan wrote:

> > THIS PACKAGE IS DISTRIBUTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND
> > PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS ONLY!!  THE ARCHIVE FILE IS [PKZip]
> > ENCRYPTED, AND YOU WILL NEED A PASSWORD TO EXTRACT
> > THE ARCHIVE.  IF YOU ARE NOT WORKING IN LAW ENFORCEMENT,

> According to one of the READMEs that comes with a public domain
> implementation of the PKZIP crypto algorithm, there is a

A few years ago the plaintext attack was implmented. One of the first
tests was on an encrypted file released in Europe that was supposed to
contain the source code and emulation of the Sky 0A smartcard. It
cracked it in about 3 hours I seem to recall.

The implementation worked exceedingly well and ran on Linux. The page
says that the w95 version is also available.

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~conrad/krypto/pkcrack.html

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac            * Hack Watch News
[email protected]       * 22 Viewmount,
Voice:   +353-51-873640  * Waterford,
BBS&Fax: +353-51-850143  * Ireland
http://www.hackwatch.com/~kooltek