A definition of EVIL.

A LIFE-AND-DEATH ISSUE

To proceed we need at least a working definition. It is a reflection of the
enormous mystery of the subject that we do not have a generally accepted
definition of evil. Yet in our hearts I think we all have some
understanding of its nature. For the moment I can do no better than to heed
my son, who, with the characteristic vision of eight-year-olds, explained
simply, "Why, Daddy, evil is 'live' spelled backward." Evil is in
opposition to life. It is that which opposes the life force. It has, in
short, to do with killing. Specifically, it has to do with murder-namely,
unnecessary killing, killing that is not required for biological survival.

from "People of the Lie" by M. Scott Peck, M.D.