Re: New Brady Bill Implications

GOA is good. So is JPFO (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership).
The boundaries between NRA and HCI are blurry. I am thinking about leaving
the NRA, but since I am a Life Member, I can at least vote for the NRA
board...

--Lucky, JPFO member and proud of it.

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> At 01:14 PM 12-1-98 -0800, Tim May wrote:
> >As for the privacy implications of the instant check system, I abandoned
> >the NRA a few years ago when it began pushing this instant check system
> >(and also when some of its leaders were lukewarm in their support of gun
> >rights). It was obvious that it would lead to a fully computerized gun
> >registration system, as indeed it has...duh! The NRA claimed it would not,
> >but now they are busy getting ready to sue the FBI and other law enforcment
> >agencies to force them not to retain the information they get from the
> >instant check system. Duh, again. (This was all foreseeable to anyone with
> >half a brain.)
> >
> >The country now has the beginnings of a national gun registration system,
> >courtesy of such "useful idiots" as the National Rifle Association.
>

> I was chatting for a while this afternoon with Larry Pratt of GOA
> (http://www.gunowners.org/). He pointed out that the NRA's compromising
> stance is not new. They've supported many, many pieces of gun control
> legislation since around the 1930s. Today at their press conference, a
> phlanx of NRA reps stressed that they really want this instant check.
> Necessary for law enforcement, whatever.
>
> The NRA is the CDT of the gun world.
>
> Remember when CDT's staff (before they left EFF) cut a deal on the Digital
> Telephony/CALEA bill and endorsed it? Now, years later when some of the
> provisions kick in, they're upset that the Justice Department wants more
> power than the law allows.
>
> Same thing's happening here with the NRA. What a surprise.
>
> -Declan

-- Lucky Green <[email protected]> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.