Re: Throwing Sand into the All-Seeing Eye

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 04:02:00AM -0800, Mixmaster wrote:
> There used to be a web site called "Throwing Sand into the All-Seeing Eye"
> which listed a long list of possible NSA-snooper keywords, such as military
> classifications and code words that could be sent for fun across the
> Internet for sole purpose of being flagged by the NSA.

The All Seeing Eye

What I propose, as a potential prank, is to include the following phrases
in signature files on messages for a while. I'm sure the DoD will be annoyed.
It's a bit long, so ignore if you want to.

Chance
Throwing sand in the All-Seeing Eye

by Paul McGinnis (original article posted April 24, 1994)
(this is an article about my plan to have fun with paranoid people in the
US government)

I've often wondered if various entities of the US government monitor the
public messages in newsgroups such as this or monitor unencrypted
electronic mail. I've worked in the communications industry since 1987
and I know how easy it is to monitor digital communications
-- in fact, it is often necessary to monitor data communications to find
problems in the hardware or software.

There have been rumors that NSA can scan international links for keywords
like "MX missile" or "Stealth bomber". It's very easy to set up this kind
of filter program -- for instance, if you mention
Kibo in a Usenet public message, he will respond. With that in mind, I'd
like to propose an experiment (maybe prank is a better description...).
The following is a list of phrases that are put at the beginning of
classified files by the US government. They are taken from Department of
Defense manual DOD 5220.22-M and Title 32, Section 2001 Code of Federal
Regulations.

Note: comments are placed between square brackets, i.e. [this is a comment].

My experiment is to see what happens if you start putting some of these
at the beginning of your Internet messages...

primary markings

TOP SECRET
(TS)
[markings shown in parentheses are accepted abbreviations. For example,
you could just put (TS)
on a document, instead of TOP SECRET]

SECRET
(S)

CONFIDENTIAL
(C)

additional markings

SENSITIVE COMPARTMENTED INFORMATION
[very secret intelligence information]
SCI

DISSEMINATION AND EXTRACTION OF INFORMATION CONTROLLED BY
ORIGINATOR
[this marking, also written as ORCON, is used on information that clearly
identifies a US intelligence source or method]
ORCON

WARNING NOTICE - INTELLIGENCE SOURCES OR METHODS INVOLVED
[this marking is used on information that could identify an intelligence
source or method]
WNINTEL

SINGLE INTEGRATED OPERATIONAL PLAN - EXTREMELY SENSITIVE
INFORMATION
[US nuclear war fighting plans]
SIOP-ESI

CRITICAL NUCLEAR WEAPON DESIGN INFORMATION
CNWDI

RESTRICTED DATA - This material contains RESTRICTED DATA as defined in
the Atomic Energy Act of 1954. Unauthorized disclosure subject to
administrative and criminal sanctions.
[used for nuclear secrets that are below CNWDI]

FORMERLY RESTRICTED DATA - Unauthorized disclosure subject to
administrative and criminal sanctions. Handle as RESTRICTED DATA in foreign
dissemination. Section 144b, AEC 1954.
[this label applies to nuclear secrets that have been transferred to a
military agency from the
Department of Energy or its predecessor, the Atomic Energy Commission]

LIMITED DISSEMINATION
[used on information in Special Access Programs]
LIMDIS

FOREIGN GOVERNMENT INFORMATION
[classified material that originated with a US ally]
FGI

COSMIC TOP SECRET
[NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) document that is classified
TOP SECRET]

NATO SECRET

NATO CONFIDENTIAL

NATO RESTRICTED

ATOMAL
[NATO nuclear secrets]

NOT RELEASABLE TO CONTRACTORS/CONSULTANTS
[this might be used if the powers-that-be are discussing cancelling a
contract with an aerospace company...]
NOCONTRACT

CAUTION - PROPRIETARY INFORMATION INVOLVED
[this marking is used on documents that would prove harmful to a company.
For example, it could
be marked on TRW documents that weren't supposed to go to Martin Marietta
Co.]
PROPIN

REPRODUCTION REQUIRES APPROVAL OF ORIGINATOR OR HIGHER
GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY.

CLASSIFIED BY MULTIPLE SOURCES

NOT RELEASABLE TO FOREIGN NATIONALS
[under no circumstances can this data be released, not even to a US ally]
NOFORN
[this is the dreaded NOFORN marking that Cliff Stoll jokingly said meant
'No Fornication' in his
book "The Cuckoo's Egg"...]