Date:         Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:56:45 EST
Sender: Hayek Related Research <[email protected]>
From: Hayek-L List Host <[email protected]>
Subject:      CL: PJ O'Rourke on economic books & Hayek
To: [email protected]

  >>  Current Literature  <<   --  economics / humor

"A NOTE ABOUT THE BIBLIOGRAPHY

There isn't one.  I'm too lazy.  And who ever heard
of humor with footnotes?  But there are certain books
which I found crucial to a neophyte student of
economics, especially if (and I mean no insult to
the texts by this) that student is uninformed, innumerate,
light-minded, and a big goof-off.  In other words, these
are the books to read if you want to know something
about economics but have never gotten further into the
subject than figuring out a trifecta at Belmont:

  _Free to Choose_ and _Capitalism and Freedom_
by Milton and Rose Friedman ,,,

  _The Road to Serfdom_ by Friedrich A. Hayek ,,,

  _The Armchair Economist by Steven E. Landsburg ,,,

There are certain books you should avoid, such as
anything with the words Investment and Success in the title
and everything ever written by John Kenneth Galbraith ,,,"

P. J. O'Rourke, _Eat the Rich: A Treatise On Economics_.
New York: Atlantic Monthly Press.  1998.  pp. xvi-xvi.

Current Literature is a regular feature of the Hayek-L list.

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [email protected]>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA