Re: DVD legal maneuvers (decss and the lawyers)

At 02:02 AM 12/30/99 -0800, John Gilmore wrote:
>Even properly-agreed-to licenses that purport to use copyright laws to
>deny people rights that copyright laws do not control, have been ruled
>unenforceable by US courts -- see Sega v. Accolade in the 9th Circuit.
>In that case the court ruled that a license prohibition on
>reverse-engineering was unenforceable, because the copyright law
>underlying the license gives the seller no control over whether the
>buyer is permitted to reverse-engineer.

Um, are you *positive* of that?  Cuz I worked at Accolade, and the
restitution payments being made to Sega over that incident were common
knowledge internally.  Perhaps the ruling was later successfully appealed
by Sega?  Case law null and void then, I believe.

/\oO/\
Vangelis <[email protected]> - Life is my religion; the world is my altar.
PGP Fingerprint: C7C0 5D30 4060 6A84 4A52  AC62 4884 51C7 475E F91F