Re: DVD legal maneuvers (decss and the lawyers) (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Martin Minow -----

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:26:29 -0500
From: Martin Minow <[email protected]>
Subject: CDR: Re: DVD legal maneuvers (decss and the lawyers)

At 14:47 -0500 2000.01.02, Adam Shostack wrote:
>Most MS based installers that I played with read a LICENSE file from
>the current directory.  By replacing the poorly written text provided
>with a copy of your favorite license, you can get their installer to
>offer more equitable and proper license terms.

I'm not a lawyer, but I rather doubt that you can get away with
saying "I replaced the license file, so your license doesn't
apply." People objecting to the license terms by asserting
intrinsic rights (as established in the USA by the SEGA and
Sony VCR court decisions) may have a stronger case.

----- End of forwarded message from Martin Minow -----

Modifying the license agreement violates their copyright. Not to mention
that if the contract has a no_reverse_engineering clause you're implicitly
recognizing it and then developing around it.

            The future is downloading. Can you hear the impact?

                                        O[rphan] D[rift>]
                                        Cyber Positive

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]