Re: Copyright of digital keys

>Hi,
>
>I've a question about the allegation that digital keys are too short to be
>copyrighted.
>
>Let's say I make a safe that opens with a key. Clearly I can copyright the
>lock mechanism and that would include the key geometry/shape because a lock
>isn't a lock without a key.

	That isn't clear at all.

	First of all, I don't think you can *copyright* a physical
device. I think copyright is reserved for things *like* writing,
videotapes, etc. Programs come into this because they are seen as
analogs to writing.

	Second point (and only semi-related to the first) There are
certain IP like things that cannot be "copyrighted". Typefaces cannot
be copyrighted. The *names* can be copyrighted (as a
description/label of the typeface), but the actual *form* of the
glyphs cannot. That would lead me to believe that the shape of the
key cannot be copyrighted either.

>While the key may not be copyrighted per se, as part of the entire
>encryption protection technology it would be.

	No, because at the root, the key is generated by a
mathematical process and hence is not the creative production of a
entity recognized by law. In other words, the key is not
"Intellectual property" in the same way that this post is
"intellectual property", or that Mickey Mouse is intellectual
property.

	The key is more along the lines of an ethernet packet.
--
Some may be willing to rely on withering editorials in the New York Times
to preserve their liberty.  I'm counting on a sleek and tasteful SIG-Sauer.