Re: Copyright of digital keys

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 06:04:15PM -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

> I've a question about the allegation that digital keys are too short to be
> copyrighted.
>
> Let's say I make a safe that opens with a key. Clearly I can copyright the
> lock mechanism and that would include the key geometry/shape because a lock
> isn't a lock without a key.

No, that's not at all correct - it's oversimplified, and then wrong to
boot.

You might find _Understanding Copyright_ - I think the author is Leaffer
- of interest. If you're in Austin, it ought to be available in the UT
bookstore, or from the usual suspects online.

--
Greg Broiles [email protected]
PO Box 897