Data battles amongst the "Big Three"

On Wed, 25 Aug 93 22:36:33 -0600,
 "L. Detweiler" <uunet!longs.lance.colostate.edu!ld231782> wrote -

> Two announcements on products that will bring internet to large
> audiences. One by Continental Cablevision Inc. The cable line one
> apparently uses special coaxial cable modems, and apparently is
> full-duplex (?). On front page of today's Wall St. Journal.

> Following that, AT&T announces the Interspan `Frame Relay Services and
> Information Access Services' to the internet. In the former, one gets
> `cost-effective' internet capabilities, in the later

Forgive me for furthering this slightly off-topic thread, but Sprint
has been offerring Frame Relay data sevices for quite some time, both
for private wide-area networks and for interconnectivity to the global
internet via SprintLink. Now, Sprint will beat everyone else to the
punch offerring up ATM -

excerpted from:

Communications Week
August 23, 1993
pages 1, 144

Sprint Takes Lead in ATM Service Race
by Robin Gareiss

San Francisco -- Four months ahead of schedule, Sprint will announce
this week that its asynchronous transfer mode transmission service is
available immediately, according to industry analysts.

The service, to be introduced at the INTEROP 93 August show here, will
be the first ATM service from a major long distance carrier.

[....]

Sprint plans to announce flexible, user-specific pricing, according to
Jeffrey Held, partner with Ernst & Young's Network Strategies
practice, Vienna, Va. Sprint briefed Held on its announcement last
week.

Sprint originally had planned to make its ATM service available in
first-quarter 1994. According to sources, the carrier has been able to
step up its plans because trials have gone more smoothly than
anticipated.

[....]

Sprint will let users access its ATM-based service via local switched
multimegabit data service or dedicated -T-3 lines, sources said. As
specifications evolve, Sprint also will develop interfaces between its
ATM and frame-relay and SprintLink TCP/IP services, Held said.

[....]

8<-------- End excerpt ------

[email protected]                    ,-)

Paul Ferguson               |  "Government, even in its best state,
Network Integrator          |   is but a necessary evil; in its worst
Centreville, Virginia USA   |   state, an intolerable one."
[email protected]             |      - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Type bits/keyID   Date       User ID
pub  1024/1CC04D 1993/03/15  Paul Ferguson <[email protected]>
  Key fingerprint =  EE D2 93 7D 04 6D C6 05  AC 36 AD 9D 8E 4F 41 58