Stewart Baker on Bernstein encryption decision (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Stewart Baker on Bernstein encryption decision

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 11:51:37 EST
From: Stewart Baker <[email protected]>
To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: FC: John Gilmore to cypherpunks on Bernstein decision

Declan--

John is entitled to brag about the Bernstein decision, but getting the
Department of State to "RWA" all of its pending license applications is nothing
to brag about.  It cost a lot of companies a lot of money, time, and sales while
they resubmitted the same applications to the Commerce Department.

I said at the time that State's advice to crypto exporters in those last few
weeks was "Get your tongue out of my mouth, I'm kissing you good-bye."

Perhaps the cause of this action was the lawsuit, perhaps it was spite at the
crypto exporters who lobbied for a change in jurisdiction, but whatever the
cause, it was not a good thing for anybody who is actually in the crypto
business.

Stewart

Author:  [email protected] at INTERNET
Date:    8/26/97 10:38 AM