SEIZING THE MEDIA

Subject:  SEIZING THE MEDIA

[ this is a resend
  I originally sent this to [email protected] on 28 Sep, but I haven't
  seen it yet, so apologies up front if you see it twice...

  Fen
  ~~~ ]

FYI...

from PeaceNet ACTIV-L:

Date:         Sat, 26 Sep 1992 23:33:10 CDT
Sender: Activists Mailing List <ACTIV-L%[email protected]>
>From: "(Rich Winkel)" <[email protected]>
Subject:      PAX: SEIZING THE MEDIA: A NETWORKER CONGRESS
To: Multiple recipients of ACTIV-L <ACTIV-L%[email protected]>

/** gen.media: 141.0 **/
** Topic: SEIZING THE MEDIA: NETWORKER CONGR **
** Written  6:39 pm  Sep 25, 1992 by openmedia in cdp:gen.media **

                  SEIZING THE MEDIA:  A NETWORKER CONGRESS
               A weekend of activity to discuss, self-educate,
           and put into practice the creation of subversive media.

           1:30pm Saturday 24 October to 6pm Sunday 25 October 1992

             Media and resource exchange;  slides, fax, posters,
	     pamphlets, computer files, ideas, proposals, tactics

            Practical action on billboard improvement and removal;
                           Big Art and postering

               E-mail and fax facility to receive material
	    to be discussed and implemented during the weekend

                     Documentation to all participants

        Materials supplied:  photocopier reproduction/enlargement
      	 and the streets of Oxford
       Bloomin Arts, Princes Street, Cowley Road, Oxford, OX4, U.K.

             If you can't make it in person, you can take part
           in the Seizing the Media Congress by post, fax, E-mail.

        Send documents, comments, proposals, art, ideas, and posters.

             Post to: BM Jed, London WC1N  3XX, United Kingdom
             Fax to: (011 441) 0865 72 4317
             E-Mail to:  [email protected]

      Accommodation and other information are available from Friday night
      onwards.  To make arrangements or get more information, get in
      touch with Oxfin between 1-4pm Mondays to Fridays at: (0865) 240545
      >From the United States: 011 41865 240 545

      Background:

      SEIZING THE MEDIA is the title of pamphlet written by the
      Immediast Underground and first released in Amsterdam ,
      New York City, and Seattle in early 1992. The 26 pamphlet
      combines theory, graphics, research and proposals that examine:

                    * Information control
                    * Propaganda and advertising
                    * CIA
                    * Mind control
                    * Immediast counter-offensives
                    * tactics, subversive networking, public empowerment
                    * multi-media
                    * Public production libraries
                    * the liberation of public space

       ...Just when Jesse Helms thought he made the world safe from
       poetic terrorism, along come the Immediasts, a cadre of media
       hackers who are fed up with the ecology of coercion that
       surrounds them. Their booklet SEIZING THE MEDIA proposes an
       all-out artistic assault on coercive communication, cultural
       monologue, and media control. They want all media insurgents
       to take back the airwaves with pirate radio, cable access TV,
       altering ads and billboards, and otherwise hacking the
       datasphere to break the spell of State/corporate media control.
	  . . . from Gareth Branwyns STREET NOISE, Issue 7 of Mondo 2000

       SEIZING THE MEDIA Version 1.1 is available for $3 from
       Open Media PO Box 2726  Westfield New Jersey 07091 USA

       THE IMMEDIAST UNDERGROUND is a centerless network of artists,
       writiers, hackers, culture jammers, pirate broadcasters, and
       posterists who connect with one another through information
       systems, mail art, networker congresses, and the underground
       press, and who communicate with the public through actions
       against all forms of coercive communication, space
       infringement, and media control.
       For more info contact:
       Immediast U. PO Box 2726  Westfield New Jersey 07091 USA

       DECENTRALIZED WORLD-WIDE NETWORKER CONGRESSES
       Since the beginning of the year, members of alternative
       info-nets, artists, insurgents, and cultural workers have
       been holding networker congresses, transnational engagements
       in cultural production, dialogue, collaborations, open
       exchange, subversive brainstorming, and collective
       disruptions of dominant culture.

       THE NETWORKER, A NEW PERCEPTION
       In societies where information is money and media is power,
       public access is as controlled as the corporate states grip
       on communication law, censorship, commerce, covert action
       and surveillance. In this context, uninhibited public
       communication, expression, and cultural production are acts
       of freedom, sovereignty, and defiance. Rooted in the drive to
       connect and exchange with others, Networker Congress engage
       in culture and media as the battleground for greater openness
       and freedom.

       MORE INFORMATION about NETWORKER CONGRESSES contact:

       H.R. Fricker
       Buro fur kunsterische Umtriebe
       CH 9043 Trogen Switzerland

       Retrofuturism
       PO Box 2278
       Iowa City, Iowa 52244

       Face of the Congress
       FaGaGaGa
       Po Box 1382
       Youngstown, Ohio 44501

       Peter Kaufman
       Bergenwissenstrasse 11
       CH-8123 EbmatigenDecentralized Networker Congresses
       Switzerland

       Decentralized Networker Congresses

       Netshaker
       PO Box 978