Re: URGENT - What S.314 Would Do

On 7 Feb 1995, slowdog wrote:

>    Whoever -
>
>    (1) in the District of Columbia or in interstate or foreign
>    communication by means of [telephone] telecommunications
>    device -
>
>    (A) [makes any comment, request, suggestion or proposal]
>    makes, transmits, or otherwise makes available any comment,
>    request, suggestions, proposal, image, or other communication]
>    which is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or indecent;

Ding...Ding...Ding... We have a winner here. Goodbye binaries and sex groups.
Please note the "whoever" at the top of the paragraph. No "knowingly."
The question is: "Is obsene speech, protected speech? Does this negate
the first ammendment?

>    (B) [makes a telephone call, whether or not conversation
>    ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to
>    annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called
>    number] makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications
>    device, whether or not conversation or communications ensues,
>    without disclosing his identity with intent to annoy, abuse,
>    threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who
>    receives the communication;

Ding...Ding...Ding... We have another winner. Goodbye remailers. Probably
90% of remailer traffic violates this one. Well boys and girls we'd
better get lots more offshore...soon.