Re: URGENT - What S.314 Would Do

    Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 02:18:27 -0600 (CST)
    From: Samuel Kaplin <[email protected]>

    . . .

    >    (B) [makes a telephone call, whether or not conversation
    >    ensues, without disclosing his identity and with intent to
    >    annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person at the called
    >    number] makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications
    >    device, whether or not conversation or communications ensues,
    >    without disclosing his identity with intent to annoy, abuse,
    >    threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who
    >    receives the communication;

    Ding...Ding...Ding... We have another winner. Goodbye remailers. Probably
    90% of remailer traffic violates this one. Well boys and girls we'd
    better get lots more offshore...soon.

Actually, unless the quote dropped important context, this part
doesn't seem to outlaw remailers, but rather certain classes of
remailer use (``makes a call'', ``utilizes...'').  It is the user, not
the provider that this seems to address.

--
Rick Busdiecker <[email protected]>      Please do not send electronic junk mail!
  Lehman Brothers Inc.