[NOISE] Re: Easter Eggs

At 10:21 AM 9/26/95 -0400, you wrote:

>I also think that in Netscape their existance is an
>indication that the managment at Netscape is a bit less uptight than
>management at some other places.

Depends on the department.  They have at least one manager at Netscape with
a permenent case of high blood preasure.  (He happens to be in charge of the
support department.)

>I didn't know about the FishCam Easter Egg, but I know that Netscape
>has a couple of Easter Eggs related to the activity indicator in the
>top right of the display.  Typically this is the Big N logo with
>animated meteors, etc. flying by when the window is active.  One
>Easter Egg temporarily turns this into a compass which spins to
>indicate activity.  Another causes the animation to show a dragon
>(Mozilla) breathing fire for the remainder of the session.  I won't
>spoil your fun by telling how to find them.

If he is not running X Windows, he is going to be searching along time for
the Compass easter egg.  You also need X windows to find the Mozilla
animated icon hack on Jammie Zawinski's page.  Which easter eggs that are
available is dependant on which client you are running.

obNetscapeHack:  There is a feature called a "cookie file" in Netscape that
is ripe for exploitation as a security leak.  If you are using a Netscape
server (and you may not even need that), you can feed all sorts of
information into it without the user's knowlege.  I have heard of one page
that overloads the cookie file until the machine runs out of drive space.  I
am sure that there are other exploitable holes there...  Any takers?
|  Minister of Forced Caffinization in the DNRC   | [email protected]   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmerman unites all| Disclaimer:          |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!" | Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.6.2 key available on request --      |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano          |       <fnord>        |