Pinkerton Risk Assessment & "Security 2000"

I have been broswing through the MSN (Microsoft Network), and discovered a
section in the "SOHO" (Small Home Owner's Guidebook) called "Partners Pages".
In it there is a list of companies with icons which subscribers can click on to
view these companies' business/financial-related services.

One of them is the Pinkerton Risk Assessment Service.  I opened & examined
their several icons, and it suddenly occurred to me how useful this kind of
on-line information could be to individuals in the new anarcho-capitalist,
nationally-borderless world.

Sort of in keeping with the theme which Sandy Sandfort and Duncan Frissell
brought up with their "lectures" on "Risk" last year, as well as what I had
said in an earlier post about people in our brave new world needing to become
imaginative in providing for their own self-defense (seeing as how trusting the
goverment doesn't work so well), it occurred to me that having information on
threats to one's physical safety would be fitting for this need - like the RISK
mailing list is for computers/software.  This kind of data would be different
from what we can get on the regular news, which is combined with many other
kinds of news and is very generalized, in that it deals more specifically with
the subject.

They advertise their services as:

"... the risk assessment tool for the 21st century. If you or other members of
your company travel internationally, the Global Risk Network  on MSN. is an
invaluable service, keeping you informed of worldwide events, political
turmoil, global sensitive spots, and more! Now you have direct online access to
a wealth of exclusive Pinkerton information, all via your computer. You can
even order hard copy reports or have customized research performed by Pinkerton
Risk Assessment  experts, simply type in your request. Tailored for the
individual traveler, as well as the corporate executive, our risk services give
you several options to know the security situation anywhere."

Although their services are advertised for the corporate business traveler, it
obviously is of use to any traveler, and particularly to the person who is in
the location mentioned.  They have icons opening up to BBSes where they report
on trouble spots and potential threats in a timely manner:

"The Global Risk Network provides even more detailed country data, including
� The Daily Risk Assessment
� Weekly Risk Assessment
� Special reports
� Statistical analysis of significant incidents
   by country and region
� Security tips
� Eye on Travel "

You would think that if the NSA & other State Departments used their services,
that they wouldn't need to poke around people's computers to better predict
where to put added security for high honcho dignitaries or State office
buildings.  But isn't that what the intelligence services are for?  Oh, well.
Here, I thought, is a great service for the regular person which they can use
to be prepared for the exigencies of life's little problems, like terrorists
and other restive types with violence on their mind.

For any of you in the Washington, D.C. area, there will be a lecture from
Pinkerton next week as detailed below.  If anyone from this list goes, it would
be interesting to get a post on what they say - the section on cybersecurity
might be of relevance to the list.

(I got this from the same location on their MSN site.):

IN COOPERATION WITH THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
PRESENTS
SECURITY 2000

Please join us at The George Washington University's Marvin Center on November
9, 1995, for a seminar on topics of vital interest to security professionals.
The seminar will highlight the opportunities and challenges of the security
environment in China; computer crime and how it can affect your business; a
global overview of political unrest, terrorism and crime,; and a demonstration
of the new Pinkerton Global Risk Network on the Microsoft Network. Join us for
the news, views and tools for ensuring your organization's security as we
approach the 21st century.

Featuring:
	0800-0900  China and Southeast Asia - Dan Grove, Pinkerton - Asia
	0910-1000  Cybercrime - Special Agent Jim Christy,
		     Air Force Office of Special Investigations
	1010-1110  Global Patterns and Trends - Hugh Barber,
		     Pinkerton Risk Assessment Services
	1120-1220   Pinkerton Global Risk Network on the Microsoft Network
		      - Demonstrated by Frank Johns and Hugh Barber,
		        Pinkerton Risk Assessment Services
	1230-1400   Lunch - GWU Club (no charge)

The GWU campus is just off the Foggy Bottom Metro stop, in Washington D.C.,
near the U.S. Department of State, where the annual OSAC conference will take
place on November 7-8.

There is no fee for the seminar, however, seating is limited. Please RSVP by
calling Pinkerton Risk Assessment Services at (703) 525-6111, Fax (703)
525-2454 or via e-mail at: [email protected]

  ..
Blanc