Re: [NOISE] Caution! Netscape 2.0 and Linux

> Hi all.
>
> Just a warning to steer clear of Netscape 2.0 on Linux. It can't
> resolve FQDNs, its distributed as a staticly linked a.out binary
> *AGAIN*, and I'm hearing lots of reports sitting here on IRC that it

   It was released as a dynamically linked binary first, however
gazillions of Linux users who didn't purchase Motif (and hence could not
run Netscape 2.0 since it uses Motif), complained, and Netscape
put up a statically linked version immediately.

> locks up R6 versions of XFree solid on a random basis. Not to mention
> that there is no java support yet for Linux, and the Java support in
> the Sun/Windows version of netscape is based on the new (and
> imcompatible with earlier versions) beta version of Java which sun
> pimped out to Netscape and won't release the source code too.

   No, the Java in Netscape 2.0 is Java BETA. The Java used in
earlier versions was Java Alpha, and Sun explicitly said that
the class hierarchy *would* change. The Java used in Netscape 2.0
is the same Java you get in SunSoft's Java development environment.

-Ray