Re: Netscape rewards are an insult

On Sun, 15 Oct 1995, Brad Shantz wrote:
> Whoops, wrong.  BETA does not mean code "they know crashes."  In fact
> it is quite the opposite.  This is pre-release code that they are bug
> fixing.  most of the catastrophic bugs, they probably know about.  A
> BETA program is to increase the testing and quality assurance staff
> to find all of the bugs they DON'T know about.  Then, they will have a
> reasonable amount of time to fix those bugs before release.  It makes
> for a much more stable product.

Well it took me 30 minutes to find my first repeatable 'core' dumping
bug in the v2.0beta when I started playing with it this morning.
How stable is that?  Mind you, the bug appears to be probably due to a
missed variable assignment.

I have an idea about where to look for more bugs but I'll
probably wait some time before I start looking in earnest, I suppose the
challenge is to look for bugs in the final release version :-).

eric (who wants a 'I debuged netscape' Tshirt to go with his 'I hacked
      netscape' Tshirt and his RSA yoyo :-)
--
Eric Young                  | Signature removed since it was generating
AARNet: [email protected]    | more followups than the message contents :-)