Re: [NOISE] Re: Postscript in Netscape

[email protected] (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen) wrote:

>> > The point I have been trying to make that many on this list seem to ignore
>> > again and again, is that Netscape makes the security claims.  If you don't
>> > provide effective protection, don't make the claim.  If you want to make
>> > the claim back it up with something other than media hype.
>>
>>   We are working on clarifying our security claims.  Here is an
>> example from the San Jose Mercury news on Aug. 17, 1995:
>>
>>     "We have said for a long time that given the right amount of
>>     computer power, that a 40-bit key encrypted message could be
>>     decrypted," said Mike Homer, Netscape's vice president of marketing.
>
> "We" - I take it you are now speaking officially for Netscape?  So how come
> Netscape doesn't even know how about Integrity shells and yet claims to
> be able to design secure systems for money transfers?

<flame=on>

Give it a rest, Doc.  You give all the rest of us Ph.D.'s a bad rep with
this crap.  Of course, if you went to that 4-year vocational school to get
an M.D., I guess that's understandable.

If you are so illiterate that you can't read the ascription (it says right
up there, "said Mike Homer, Netscape's vice president of marketing"), then
why do you (a) waste bandwidth and our time to go through this drivel, and
(b) flame one Netscape employee for not knowing everything you know?  If
there are all of 5+ refereed publications in this area, how about giving
references?  It would take up less space than your recurring venom eruption!
Or couldn't you understand the papers, given that you couldn't understand
the news clip...

<flame=off>