Credit card theft Re: The future will be easy to use

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:

> [email protected] (Futplex) writes:
> > People who steal credit cards prefer to order goods to be delivered somewhere
> > they can grab them.
>
> For most goods, yes. But one could use a stolen credit card, e.g., to set
> up an account on AOL / CompuServe and download tons of software, charging
> it to the card.

<Flamebait>
Or c2.org, which might then make things interesting if the theft is detected.
(in a very perverse, and tooth-gnashingly aggravating way, of course).
Would Sameer cooperate with the LEAs to catch "an anonymous suspect using
his service"?

What if it's an ecash password getting stolen? Who's liable? (lemme
guess, your money's gone, tough luck!) What if you're just a dumb
gullible computer newbie who trusts ecash for its vaunted security?
"But how was I supposed to know that if I let someone surf my
shoulder, I'd lose my bank account!?" I'd say buyer beware! but he'd
sue and the public will want a law ("Damn it, consumers have to be
PROTECTED!").
Credit only has $50 worth of risk, most people are more interested in
keeping their $ than their privacy. Just look at the number of them who
enter contests.
</Flamebait>

Disclaimer: I don't have a marktwain account at the moment, so I can't
say a thing about the security of the system. I wish them the absolute best of
luck.