Re: So, what crypto legislation (if any) is necessary?

At 10:47 3/27/96, Michael Froomkin wrote:

>I see no reason whatsoever to believe that an un-warranted wiretap would
>be legal in any but two cases.  (1) Emergency threatening life (e.g.
>hostage-taking) pending judicial authorizaiton -- very rare.
>(2) The president claims residual authority to wiretap on national
>security grounds without a court order.  Since the FISA court provides
>the authority, this (one is told) is not used.

On what do you base your belief, give that the law explicitly allows for
"other forms of authorization"? Where does it say that these "other forms
of authorization" are limited to the examples you give?

TIA,

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.