Re: [NOISE] "X-Ray Gun" for imperceptible searches

Lucky Green wrote:

> At 9:27 8/13/96, Peter Trei wrote:
>
> >I vaguely remember another possibly relevant precedent, where a
> >judge ruled that a warrant was required before a thermal imager
> >could be used to look at a house suspected by the police of
> >being a (pot) grow house.
>
> Wrong. No warrant was used and the bust was upheld in court.

Hmm.  A case involving Texas cops hovering above a greenhouse for a
month using a 600mm telescope to peek through a 5-inch gap was thrown
out of court on the grounds that the crop was not in "plain view".
(Wheeler v State, Texas Court of Criminal appeals, 29/9/83).  However,
this was some time ago, so I'm sure the US constitution has been
whittled down a tad more since then.

Gary
--
pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <[email protected]>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06