Re: (Fwd) Re: New file system

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

> I'm not on the list currently, but I this person is looking for info on
> putting filesystems in other files and I no longer have the refs to
> what some members of the list were doing.
>
> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
>
> At 12:38 PM 7/26/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >On 26 Jul 96 at 3:07, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> I ask this here since I can't find anywhere else to ask this.
> >
> >> I'm looking for / thinking about writing a library that allows
> >> for a file system to exist inside of a single file (much
> >> like the microsoft OLE document).  This is needed for a project
> >> of mine.
> >
> >Check the Linux 2.0 distribution. I believe it allows this.  There's
> >also some cypherpunks talk recently about hiding encrypted
> >filesystems in other files, so you may want to check the archives in
> >hks.net.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP
  Enabling this option will allow you to mount a file as a file system.
  This is useful if you want to check an ISO9660 file system before
  burning the CD, or want to use floppy images without first writing
  them to floppy.
  This option also allows one to mount a filesystem with encryption.
  To use these features, you need a recent version of mount, such as
  the one found at ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/linux/util/mount-2.5X.tar.gz.
  If you want to use encryption, you might also be interested in the
  (old) DES package ftp.funet.fi:/pub/OS/Linux/BETA/loop/des.1.tar.gz.
  Note that this loop device has nothing to do with the loopback
  device used for network connections from the machine to itself.
  Most users will answer N here.

> Could you give me a good site to look into this? I tried coast.net with
> no luck since the source is spread over a good number of directorys.
>

> >> Requirements:
> >>
> >>    Mulitiple files and a hiarchial directory reside in a single
> >> file.
> >>
> >>    The file starts out as small as possible then it becomes
> >> bigger as more files and directorys are added to it.
> >>
> >>    The files inside the file system can be added, renamed,
> >> delete, moved, fragged.  (there must be a way to defrag the
> >> files)
> >>
> >>    Each file in the file system can have mulitiple streams much
> >> like the NTFS file system.
> >>
> >> End of requirements.
> >>
> >>    Does anyone know of a library like this and if so where
> >> if not does anyone have any ideas on how this could work.
> >> Currently i'm looking at modiling the system after the
> >> UNIX file system.
> >>
> >> Any ideas / comments please respond by email to:
> >> [email protected].
> >>
> >> Use subject: 'Re: New file system'
> >>

> >> e-mail: [email protected]
> >

> ---
> No-frills sig. Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
> Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 [email protected] (root@magneto)
> Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.